Italian Chicken Soup is an easy one pot soup recipe in under an hour with chicken breasts, zucchini, diced tomatoes, and pasta in a savory Italian chicken broth.
ITALIAN CHICKEN SOUP
Italian Chicken Soup is a one pot meal that only needs a side of Dinner Rolls or Garlic Bread for a light healthy dinner. In less than an hour you can have a hearty, delicious Italian soup when ever you are craving comfort food.
This Italian Chicken Soup is a delicious healthy meal with simple ingredients like chicken breasts, fresh zucchini, and kale. It’s a low calorie soup full of so much flavor from Italian seasonings like basil, oregano, and thyme. You can use a store bought Italian seasoning blend or make a homemade version like the one in this post.
You can make Italian Chicken Soup ahead of time and freeze it for a ready-to-go freezer meal. This soup gets better with time, with all the Italian flavors soaking into the pasta, chicken breast, and veggies. If you are worried about the pasta getting mushy, make ahead and add the pasta when you reheat to serve.
You can make Italian Chicken Soup in the slow cooker with the easy instructions at the bottom of this post. Italian Chicken Soup can easily be adapted to use what you have on hand or flavors your family likes better. For gluten free Italian Chicken Soup, use canned white beans or more veggies instead of the pasta.
Make Italian Chicken Soup on busy weeknights, for a light holiday meal, or for potlucks. It makes a great soup to serve with Italian favorites like Meat Lasagna or Baked Spaghetti. Have an endless soup and salad night with Italian Chicken Soup and Copycat Olive Garden Salad.
OTHER HEARTY AND DELICIOUS SOUPS
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON ITALIAN CHICKEN SOUP
- Chicken: Instead of chicken breasts you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you have a rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken, stir it in after the pasta is cooked.
- Creamy: Turn this into Creamy Italian Chicken Soup by adding a cup of heavy cream or half and half when you add the pasta.
- Pasta: You can use other small pasta like ditalini, macaroni, or orzo. Ditalini pasta are little tube pastas about a 1/4 inch long and are perfect for Italian soup recipes.
- Veggies: Try other veggies like green bell peppers, fresh diced tomatoes, yellow squash, green beans, spinach, or broccoli.
- Tomato Sauce: For a zesty tomato broth, add 1 can of tomato sauce with your chicken broth and don’t drain the diced tomatoes.
- Garnish: Serve your Italian Chicken Soup with shredded parmesan cheese and Italian herbs like fresh parsley or fresh basil.
MORE EASY ITALIAN DINNER RECIPES
Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried ground marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon dried sage
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
To make Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup, add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except the pasta. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours, until chicken is cooked. Stir pasta in to the soup, cover and cook on high until pasta is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
HOW TO STORE ITALIAN CHICKEN SOUP
- Serve: Italian Chicken Soup can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it should be stored.
- Store: Cool your Italian Chicken Soup, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Always cool soup completely before freezing so it doesn’t collect moisture. Freeze in a sealed container or freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
Italian Chicken Soup
- 2 pounds chicken breasts , diced (boneless and skinless)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup carrot , sliced
- 2 cups kale , chopped
- 2 zucchini , sliced and quartered
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes , drained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shell pasta
Add the canola oil to a large dutch oven on medium heat and add the chicken, garlic and onions, cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, kale, Italian seasoning, and salt and black pepper.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 25 minutes.
Add pasta to the soup and continue cooking for 13-15 minutes, partially covered, until pasta is tender.