Candy Cane Brownies are easy one bowl chocolate peppermint brownies from scratch with semisweet and white chocolate chips, topped with crushed candy canes!
CANDY CANE BROWNIES
Broken candy canes are almost unavoidable, there’s always at least one or two in every box. Instead of throwing them out or snacking on them, put those candy canes to use in your holiday baking. Crushed candy canes are great for everything from Peppermint Bark to festive chocolate brownies!
Liven up your holiday dessert platter with these fun, easy Candy Cane Brownies. Made in just about 30 minutes, the hardest part of these brownies is waiting for them to cool down to cut and eat. Everything is mixed in one bowl with no melting chocolate or microwaves so prep and clean up is lightening quick.
Candy Cane Brownies are one of the best brownie recipes for holidays. They have it all! Chewy, fudgy brownie center with bursts of melted semisweet chocolate and creamy white chocolate. Plus a minty sweet crunch from the crushed candy cane topping for chocolate peppermint in every bite.
These Candy Cane Brownies aren’t just for holiday parties and cookie exchanges. Enjoy them year round, using crushed peppermint candies when candy canes disappear from the shelves. You can also make these peppermint brownies ahead of time and freeze to make holiday baking a breeze or when you need a last minute dessert.
MORE DELICIOUS BROWNIE RECIPES:
Make Candy Cane Brownies an even more special holiday dessert by making a peppermint frosting with Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Frosting and 1 teaspoon peppermint extract. You can also drizzle them with Chocolate Ganache or serve warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
Don’t Bake Candy Cane Brownies Too Long!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CANDY CANE BROWNIES
- Mix-Ins: Instead of chocolate chips, you can use Andies mints (chopped or baking chips) for more pepperminty goodness. For crunch, add chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Dark Chocolate: For Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies, use special dark unsweetened cocoa powder plus bittersweet chocolate. Melt 6 tablespoons butter and 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate and stir into wet ingredients.
- Candy Canes: Add more peppermint flavor by mixing 1/4 cup ground candy canes (about 5-6 candy canes) into brownie batter with dry ingredients. You could also add 1-1 1/2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract.
- Brown Sugar: For chewier, fudgier brownies, swap 1/2 cup brown sugar for 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Melted chocolate-butter mixture, instead of cocoa powder, will also make these brownies fudgier.
- Brownie Mix: For better brownie mix brownies, ditch the box ingredients. Use the 2 eggs and 1/2 cup butter in this recipe, plus 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/3 cup milk or sour cream. Add chips and peppermints per the recipe.
- Brownie Cookies: Turn brownies into cookies by adding 1 teaspoon baking powder and increasing to 1 cup flour. Spoon dough onto a baking tray, top with candy canes, and bake for 12-14 minutes, until tops are shiny and cracked.
MORE PEPPERMINT BARK RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE CANDY CANE BROWNIES
- Serve: Peppermint Brownies are best served at room temperature and be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 4 days. Keep in an airtight container.
- Store: Keep Candy Cane Brownies fresh longer in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature or warm in the microwave to serve.
- Freeze: To keep cut brownies from sticking, freeze on a baking sheet for 1 hour before storing. Place in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months, thawing in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Candy Cane Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup peppermint candy bits , or crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 9x13 inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Fold in chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into greased baking pan. Sprinkle with peppermint bits.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.