Baked Beans Casserole is a tasty cookout side dish. Easy beef and bacon baked beans in a sweet and smoky sauce. Great recipe to make with leftover burgers!
BAKED BEANS CASSEROLE
You’ll love how easy this casserole comes together with canned beans, ground beef, bacon, and a handful of pantry ingredients. It’s the perfect potluck dish to feed a crowd on a budget, or make it ahead and pop it in the oven when you need a hearty side dish. This BBQ bean casserole is great round two recipe for cookout leftovers like hamburgers or Pulled Pork too!
Baked Bean Casserole is a go to crowd pleasing side dish that takes bland canned baked beans and packs them with flavor. The jalapeños add just a slight kick to the sweet and tangy sauce, but you can leave them out and it will still be delicious. Use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce for this Baked Bean Casserole or easily make a Homemade BBQ Sauce if you have some extra time.
This Baked Beans Casserole recipe can be finished on the stovetop instead of the oven. Prepare the meat mixture and onion mixture in a large dutch oven and cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes over low heat. You can also make our Baked Beans recipe in a slow cooker or Instant Pot with our variations below. However you make it, this side dish is sure to be a winner at your next potluck or cookout!
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
Baked Beans Casserole is a go-to side for BBQ favorites like Brisket and Grilled Chicken! Don’t forget the Cornbread and the Coleslaw for the perfect summer time meal. You could make a Cowboy Beans Casserole by baking the cornbread batter on top of the beans too. Cook cornbread mixture until a toothpick comes out clean and serve like a Texas-style chili casserole.
These Baked Beans are a great dish to make ahead of time and store for later! Prep an unbaked casserole ahead of time and refrigerate up to 2 days for an easy side dish you pop into the oven right before your party. You can also freeze Baked Bean Casserole ahead of time and bake from frozen, adding an additional 10-15 minutes cooking time.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BAKED BEANS CASSEROLE
- Meat: Chop up cookout leftovers like hot dogs and hamburgers instead of ground beef. You can use veggie “ground beef” crumbles and leave out the bacon for a vegetarian Baked Beans Casserole.
- Beans: Swap 1 can baked beans with other canned beans like kidney beans, butter beans, chickpeas, or white beans. You can also use canned pork and beans, just scrape off any fat so the casserole isn’t greasy.
- Cheese: Cheese makes everything better! Top your Baked Bean Casserole with shredded cheddar cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Sauce: You can use any BBQ sauce or mustard you like, swap in tomato sauce for ketchup, or add a tablespoon molasses to change up the sauce. Instead of jalapeños, try Sriracha or leave out the spicy peppers if you prefer a milder bean casserole.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans Casserole
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Brown ground beef and bacon for 6-8 minutes. Transfer beef and bacon to slow cooker.
- Cook onion and jalapeño in skillet for 3-4 minutes, until soft.
- Add onion mixture and remaining ingredients to beef mixture in slow cooker.
- Stir and cover with lid. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Optional: Cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes on high to thicken sauce.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Casserole
- Add vegetable oil to Instant Pot and turn on Sauté function.
- Once oil is hot and shimmering, cook beef and bacon until browned.
- Remove beef mixture and cook onions and jalapeño 3-4 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Drain all but 1-2 tablespoons grease and scrape any browned bits from side of pot.
- Add ground beef mixture and stir remaining ingredients to pot.
- Secure lid and seal the pressure valve. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 3 minutes.
- Quick release pressure when done cooking and stir before serving.
- If sauce is too thin, turn Instant Pot to Soup Function and simmer 5-10 minutes to reduce.
MORE EASY SIDE DISH RECIPES FOR A COOKOUT
HOW TO STORE BAKED BEANS CASSEROLE
- Serve: Baked Beans Casserole can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it needs to be stored.
- Store: Once Baked Beans are cooled, refrigerate covered or in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Cool Baked Beans Casserole completely before storing in a freezer-safe container or baking pan covered tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze casserole for up to 3 months and reheat from frozen in the oven. You can also thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Baked Beans Casserole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 jalapeño , diced
- 30 ounces baked beans
- 15 ounces pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oil to a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Add beef and bacon and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove beef and add onion and jalapeño and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl mix beef mixture, onion mixture, baked beans, pinto beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Pour into 13x9 baking dish and bake for 60 minutes.