Ultimate Cornbread is incredibly EASY to make, made with cornmeal, flour, and sugar. It’s sweet, savory, and ready in under 45 minutes!
In our kitchen, we know that the perfect bread dish is almost as important as the main course itself, and this cornbread is the PERFECT side to Classic Beef Chili, Slow Cooker Beef Chili and Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
Ultimate Cornbread is an amazingly fluffy cornbread recipe that’s so easy to throw together you’ll want to make it every weekend! It’s made from a blend of all purpose flour and corn meal to make a texture that’s soft and light, while still being sweet and savory at the same time.
This is a great recipe for chili night, or when you have a crowd of people over because it’s really easy to double this recipe and make a big batch.
You can make this recipe ahead, but I would try to make it on the same day, warmed in the oven before serving.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CORNBREAD FLUFFY?
- Trade the milk for buttermilk to help the baking powder get the best rise possible. If you don’t have buttermilk, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Be sure that the baking powder you are using is fresh. Old baking powder doesn’t work as well.
- Check your oven with an oven-safe thermometer to make sure you are cooking at the right temperature.
- Let the cornmeal soak with the milk for ten minutes before mixing the ingredients together. This really does make a difference in the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE CORNBREAD IN A CAST IRON SKILLET
You can make this cornbread recipe in a cast iron skillet for a crispy crust with a soft light center. When melting the butter, you can also let it keep cooking to get a browned butter skillet cornbread recipe with more flavor.
- Bring the skillet up to high heat, then melt two tablespoons of butter in the skillet.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, and transfer the skillet to the oven at 400 degrees. It’s done when a toothpick comes out clean.
IS CORNMEAL THE SAME AS CORN FLOUR?
Corn flour is basically a finer ground version of cornmeal. Cornmeal is used to make dishes like polenta or grits, while corn flour is used for thickening soups or puddings.
For this recipe you want to use corn meal because that’s what gives this corn bread recipe its texture.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO STORE CORNBREAD
This corn bread recipe can be wrapped tightly and stored on the counter for 1-2 days. Any more than that, and the bread will have to be refrigerated or frozen. Corn bread will freeze well for 2-3 months.
HOW DO I SPRUCE UP MY CORNBREAD RECIPE?
- Add some spicy ingredients like green chiles, pepper jack cheese, or a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Add pieces of cooked bacon to the bread, then once it’s out of the oven drizzle with maple syrup.
- Use half brown sugar and half white sugar in the cornbread recipe, then sprinkle the top with brown sugar before baking.
- For a sweet more dessert-like cornbread, add some fruit like blueberries and a sprinkle of sugar (especially a more coarse sanding sugar) and cinnamon on top.
- Add one can of corn kernels to the dough to make a more robust cornbread.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORNBREAD
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Pepper Soup
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs
- Easy Pulled Pork
TIPS FOR MAKING CORNBREAD
- Serve with fresh soft butter and a drizzle of honey, the perfect flavor combo!
- Make a spicy Tex-Mex version by adding a tablespoon of diced jalapeno to the batter and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.
- Put this in a muffin tin and cut the baking total time down to 15-20 minutes for homemade muffins.
- Mix until the flour just combines with the other ingredients. Be careful not to over-mix.
Ultimate Cornbread is incredibly EASY to make, made with cornmeal, flour, and sugar. It's sweet, savory, and ready in under 45 minutes!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
Mix the cornmeal and milk in a large bowl and let soak for 10 minutes.
Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk well then pour them into the baking pan and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.