Summer Fruit Galette is a tart and sweet quick seasonal dessert with a flaky pastry crust and blueberry peach strawberry filling. Ready in 35 minutes!
Summer is the perfect time for Decadent Desserts with fresh fruit throughout. The season just isn’t complete without Mixed Berry Pies, Peach Pies, and other fantastic desserts. This free form tart is like a simpler version of those classic pies.
SUMMER FRUIT GALETTE
This Summer Galette is a quick dessert that you can throw together for a family reunion, potluck, or picnic. The fresh peaches, blueberries, and strawberries are full of sweet and tart fruit juices that bake together in the galette filling to make a beautiful Summer fruit dessert.
If you haven’t made a Galette before it’s a simple fruit tart. The pie crust is laid out flat and folded partially over the fruit pilling, similar to a Crostata. Baking the berries and stone fruit this way takes a lot less work than making a whole pie, but you get similar flavors as a result.
Serve it up with cool toppings like Vanilla Ice Cream, Whipped cream, or Stabilized Whipped Cream for a refreshing treat. You’ll love how the creamy toppings melt into the warm galette crust and fruit filling.
There’s really no better time of year to make this fantastic dessert than in the summer. The blueberry peach and strawberry filling can all be made with in season, juicy fruit, that’s all the more delicious for how fresh it is. It takes advantage of all the natural flavors for an unbelievable treat in the end.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PIE CRUST
Although you can use store-bought refrigerated pastry dough for a super simple and delicious recipe, It’s not too much extra work to make your own tart dough from scratch if you want to. Here are the easy steps:
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cold butter to a food processor, or stand mixer. Add another cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt over the flour and cubed butter.
- If you don’t have a food processor or stand mixer, just add the ingredients to a medium bowl and use a pastry cutter for your pastry blender.
- Mix or pulse the ingredients until they’re in coarse crumbs.
- Pour in 6 tablespoons ice water and mix it in. This should make a light yellow dough mixture.
- Put the dough on a floured counter or other floured surface in a ball. Put a little excess flour on your hands so the dough doesn’t stick to you.
- Use your hands to flatten the dough slightly and wrap it in plastic wrap to refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After the hour use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a flat dough circle on the baking sheet, and your outstanding pastry crust is ready!
MORE FRUIT DESSERTS
TIPS FOR MAKING SUMMER FRUIT GALETTE
- Sliced fruit: To slice the fresh peaches start by cutting the fruit in half and taking out the pit. You can then use the paring knife to cut the peach into pieces. You want fairly thin sliced peaches for the recipe. Cut the tops off the strawberries, and slice them too.
- Fruit filling: When you combine the fresh fruit, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl, be sure to continue tossing them until all the fruit is coated. This will help make a cohesive flavor throughout the dish.
- Tart dough: Make sure you remember to line your baking sheet with parchment paper before rolling the pie crust out onto it. Spread the fruit filling into a somewhat even layer, but make sure you leave a 2-inch border of pastry dough. You don’t have to worry about making things too even when you fold up the dough. The beautiful fruit will make the dessert shine either way. Brush on an egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar for a beautiful, sparkling Summer Fruit Galette.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SUMMER FRUIT GALETTE
- Flavors: There are plenty of different flavors you can add to the fruit filling by mixing in lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, or almond extract. Lemon juice and almond extract are quite strong so use a light hand when adding them to your Fruit Galette.
- Fruits: Along with the delicious fruits in the recipe there are others you can add. Try mixing in some fresh apricots, blackberries, raspberries, or cherries. Slice the fresh apricots at the same time you slice the peaches and to about the same size if you’re adding them.
- Sweetener: If you want to exchange the granulated sugar in the Summer Fruit Galette try using brown sugar, honey, or coconut sugar. If you’re trying to use little sugar in the recipe you can cut back on the regular granulated sugar. The Galette will just be less sweet and slightly more tart.
- Thickener: Instead of using cornstarch or cornmeal, in the recipe you can use almond meal, or arrowroot meal. Cornmeal, almond meal and other coarse meals do a good job thickening the fruit mixture. However, if you don’t have any coarse meals in your pantry you can try a flour mixture with regular flour or almond flour. Just use slightly less flour.
MORE SUMMER DESSERT RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SUMMER FRUIT GALETTE
- Serve: If you cover the Fruit Galette in plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container, it can stay good at room temperature for 2 days.
- Store: To keep it for 4-5 days, wrap it up and put it in the fridge.
- Freeze: Tightly sealed, you can also freeze Summer Fruit Galette for up to 6 months.
Summer Fruit Galette
- 2 peaches , pitted and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries , sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large egg white , lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the peaches, blueberries, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon, tossing the mixture well.
- Add the pie crust to your baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Drain all liquid from the fruit mixture.
- Top with the fruit, spread to 2" from the edge of the pie dough, evenly.
- Fold the crust over in 2" sections, making overlapping folds as you go.
- Brush with egg white, then sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.