Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken is an easy weeknight dinner that you can set and forget. Tangy, tender chicken thighs with crispy skin.
SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
The pineapple chunks and brown sugar give this chicken an amazing blend of the sweet and sour. You won’t be able to get enough of this crispy and tangy chicken. It’s sure to become one of your go-to family dinners for a busy weekday. This Hawaiian Chicken has such a distinct taste from the pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar mixture. An easy Pineapple Chicken that you’re sure to find yourself making over and over again.
The great thing about slow cooker recipes, like this one, is that you can set it up in the morning and have an unbelievably delicious dinner ready at the end of the day. The total time may be several hours, but your crockpot is doing all the work. After cooking the chicken in the crockpot, you can broil it in the oven for a few minutes to make the skin extra crispy.
For a super simple side dish to round off this Pineapple Chicken recipe into a full meal, make some Light Coconut Rice. It will pair wonderfully with the flavor from the pineapple juice and is easy to make while the chicken recipe is finishing up.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPES
PINEAPPLE CHICKEN KEBABS
Make this Brown Sugar Chicken into a fun kabob dinner. Let the recipe cook in the slow cooker as usual. Once it’s done, cut the Pineapple and Brown Sugar Chicken into bite-sized pieces. Prepare bell peppers, roasted pineapple, sweet potatoes, and other fruits and vegetables. Put out the chicken and complementary ingredients. Everyone can skewer what they want onto their own kebab and enjoy a fun take on this simple recipe.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- Chicken Breasts: You can try making this recipe with chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. Prep boneless chicken breasts the same way and put it in the crockpot with the same ingredients. Boneless chicken breasts cook more quickly. Set the slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours to cook the chicken breasts.
- Sauce: There are lots of different flavors you can add to the sauce that will complement the fresh pineapple and sugar mixture. Try replacing the Worcestershire sauce with ketchup, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, barbecue sauce, or soy sauce.
- Add-ins: Try mixing in some more flavor with vegetables and other add-ins. Cauliflower, green onions, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, caramelized onions, or sesame seeds. You can also add seasonings to the recipe like paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, cumin or cayenne pepper.
- Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken: You can make the recipe with some more garlic flavor. Add in a teaspoon of garlic powder and 8 minced garlic cloves to the chicken.
- Marinade: You can try marinating the chicken to make it extra juicy. Put the chicken in a covered bowl with the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Then add in some chicken broth along with the rest of the ingredients. Whisk the marinade together and let the chicken sit for 4-8 hours.
INSTANT POT BROWN SUGAR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- Turn the instant pot onto sauté mode and add olive oil to the bottom.
- Brown the chicken thighs in the pot on both sides until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches.
- Add the chicken thighs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, crushed pineapple, and brown sugar to the instant pot.
- Lock and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes, and then quick release.
SIDE DISHES FOR SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- Serve: Don’t leave cooked chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: To store your Pineapple Chicken recipe, let it cool to room temperature then store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last well for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: This is also a great recipe to make ahead. You can freeze Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken for up to 4 months. To reheat the chicken, let it defrost in the fridge overnight. You can reheat the chicken in the oven, then add some extra fresh pineapple chunks.
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken
- 5 chicken thighs , bone-in, skin-on
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- Place chicken thighs in the slow cooker skin side up and season with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
Top with garlic, brown sugar and most of your pineapple (save 1/2 cup) along with all the pineapple juice from the can.
Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
For crispy skin, put the chicken on a baking sheet, 8 inches below the broiler in the oven on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
Top with remaining uncooked pineapple before serving.