Greek Chicken and Rice Soup (Avgolemono) is a traditional recipe with shredded chicken, long-grain rice, and an egg and lemon sauce made into an easy meal.
If you’re a fan of classic Greek dishes like One Pot Greek Mediterranean Chicken and Rice, then you’re sure to love this rich and savory soup recipe with traditional Mediterranean ingredients.
GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP (AVOLEMONO)
Avgolemono (Ahvo-lemono) is a hearty chicken soup that’s full of lemon flavor. The lemon juice is combined with an egg mixture that is then added to the soup to give it a rich and silky texture that’s completely unique to Avgolemono Soup.
The lemon adds a nice refreshing taste to the other classic soup flavors like celery, garlic, onion, oregano, and basil. Make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup as an alternative to Chicken Noodle Soup the next time you or someone in your family is feeling unwell. It may even become a new favorite soup that you find yourself making once every couple of weeks even in the best of health.
This is an especially great recipe to make if you have any leftover chicken. You can cut up leftover Rotisserie Chicken to use in Lemon Chicken Soup, to make the recipe even quicker.
MORE SOUP AND STEW RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE THE AVOLEMONO SAUCE (LEMON-EGG SAUCE)
For the most part, making Avgolemono is a simple matter of letting the ingredients simmer in a large dutch oven. Making the Greek egg mixture is the only part of this recipe that is different than any other Chicken Soup, and it’s not even difficult. Plus it’s well worth the extra step to add extra lemon flavor, thicken the hot broth, and give the whole soup a rich, silky texture.
Here’s an easy step-by-step guide to making the egg-lemon sauce for your soup.
- When you add the broth to the Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe, it’s important that you only add 5 cups. Leave a cup of broth to the side to use in the egg-lemon mixture.
- After you’ve simmered the other soup ingredients together and shredded the chicken, add the last cup of broth, lemon juice, egg yolks without the egg whites, and 1/2 cup of drained and cooked rice from the soup to a blender.
- Blend the ingredients together to make avgolemono sauce. If you don’t have a blender you can also just whisk the broth and lemon in a medium bowl.
- Add the sauce to the Lemon Soup and mix it well before serving.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP (AVGOLEMONO)
- Chicken: Instead of using chicken breast for your Greek Chicken Soup, you could use ground chicken or boneless chicken thighs just depending on what you have on hand.
- Orzo: You can absolutely use orzo pasta instead of long-grain rice in this Avgolemono Soup Recipe. Just keep in mind that orzo will cook faster than rice, so you’ll want to add the orzo slightly later than the other ingredients so the noodles don’t overcook and get too soft. Instead of orzo, you could also use short-grain white rice or another noodle of your choice to change up the Chicken Soup.
- Add-ins: For some different flavor try mixing in basil, fresh dill, bay leaf or some extra lemon zest to garnish the Chicken and Rice Soup
INSTANT POT AVGOLEMONO
- Start with your instant pot on saute mode.
- Add the butter, onions, garlic, celery, salt, and pepper to the base of your pot. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add 5 cups of the chicken broth, chicken, carrots, oregano, basil, and rice to the instant pot.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Quick-release, then open the lid and remove the chicken to shred it. Add the chicken back into the pot once it’s shredded.
- Blend the egg yolk, lemon, and 1/2 cup of cooked rice together.
- Add the mixture to the Lemon Chicken Soup and stir together. Let the mixture heat up before serving, but don’t bring the soup to a full boil again.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP (AVGOLEMONO)
HOW TO STIR GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP (AVGOLEMONO)
- Serve: Don’t leave Avgolemono Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the Greek Lemon Chicken Soup has cooled down you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Avgolemono Soup for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge then reheat it on the stovetop before serving.
Greek Chicken and Rice Soup (Avgolemono)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 stalks celery , sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth , divided
- 2 chicken breasts , boneless skinless
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup long-grain rice , uncooked
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
Add the butter to a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook the onions, garlic, celery, salt, and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
Add 5 cups of broth, chicken, carrots, oregano, basil, and rice and bring to a boil, then to low heat for 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks before returning to the soup.
- Add the last cup of broth to a blender jar along with lemon juice, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of the drained cooked rice from the soup.
Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, then pour into the soup and stir well.