Cheesy Bratwurst Soup is the ultimate comforting dish with a little heat made with sausage, carrots, jalapenos, and soothing broth all smothered in cheese.
Easy Soup Recipes always make classic comfort food dishes. They’re great to serve on cold nights or when someone in your family is feeling under the weather. Be sure to try other delicious soup recipes like Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Spinach or Classic Minestrone Soup.
CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
Easy Brat Soup is a hearty meal that’s sure to keep your whole family full and happy. The full-flavored meal is made with chopped celery, onion, carrots, fork-tender brats, spicy peppers, and a creamy cheese base.
Just like Beef Chili this thick, creamy soup is perfect to serve with a nice crusty piece of bread or Basic Cornbread. You could also try rye bread or Garlic Bread for dipping. Cold months are a wonderful time to serve up fabulous Fall recipes like Brat Stew.
It’s a delicious and easy soup, perfect for Oktoberfest or to serve while watching the Super Bowl game. We love serving grilled bratwurst hot dogs on Super Bowl Sunday. However, making this cheesy soup is an unexpected way to still enjoy warm fall flavors. If you’re serving the Cheesy Brat Soup for a party, let the soup simmer on the stovetop so it stays warm throughout. Then you can enjoy it all Sunday long.
MORE COMFORTING FALL RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
- Prep time: Start by cutting the large carrots, celery, and onions into inch pieces so they’re ready for the soup.
- Bratwurst: Add the uncooked links bratwurst to a dutch oven or large stockpot. Turn the stove to medium heat and break the links bratwurst apart into smaller pieces while they brown.
- Veggies: Remove the bratwurst from the heat source, then add the onions, carrots, and celery. Reduce the heat and sauté onions, celery, and onion for 6-8 minutes until translucent.
- Creamy Soup: Add the black pepper and flour to the mixture and whisk it all together. Next, whisk in the whole milk and broth and continue cooking until thickened. Add the sausage back in, then top it with cheese and sliced jalapeno. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
- Thicken: To make extra creamy, cheesy, thick, hearty soup you can add some heavy cream, or warm half and half to make a more creamy mixture. To thicken up the soup even more add a little more all-purpose flour to the broth to make a flour paste that’s more like a stew.
- Seasonings: For some extra flavor you can add spices and seasonings. Make simple additions like salt and pepper, or add-in flat-leaf parsley, California Tri-Tip Seasoning, Creole seasoning, minced clove garlic, or red pepper flakes. Continue taste testing as you add in seasoning to make sure you like the taste.
- Add-ins: Some other ways to add-in extra flavor mix in some extra chopped onions cut into inch slices or use minced onion. You can also mix in a couple of chopped medium potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes will taste great in this recipe. If you don’t want to do potatoes try white rice for a different starch. For some more flavors try green onions, liquid smoke, diced tomatoes, dijon mustard or any grain mustard, small red bell pepper, hot sauce, or caraway seeds.
- Broth: Instead of using chicken stock you can try using vegetable broth or low sodium vegetable broth. You could also make this into a mushroom soup by mixing in some cream of mushroom with half the broth.
- Beer Cheese Soup: To make a Beer Soup Recipe worthy of Oktoberfest mix in 1 1/2 cups of your favorite beer to make Beer Cheese Soup. The alcohol will cook out and just leave the delicious flavor of hot beer cheese soup.
- Cheese: You can add any of your favorite cheeses along with the cheddar cheese to this Cheesy Brat Soup. Try any shredded cheese like mozzarella, Colby jack cheese, or Pepper Jack cheese. They’ll all taste delicious as the cheese melts over the soup making a creamy, stringy mixture.
SLOW COOKER CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
- To make Slow Cooker Cheesy Brats add all the ingredients, except the cheese, to your slow cooker.
- Cover the Crock Pot Cheese Soup and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Start with the lower time and add an additional hour if it’s not done yet.
- Top with cheddar cheese and ladle Cheesy Brat Soup into bowls to serve.
SIDE DISHES TO SERVE WITH CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
HOW TO STORE CHEESY BRATWURST SOUP
- Serve: Don’t leave Bratwurst Cheddar Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, put the soup in an airtight container, and store it in the fridge. It will keep well for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also keep Cheesy Bratwurst Soup in the freezer for up the 3 months.
Cheesy Bratwurst Soup
- 1 pound bratwurst , casing removed
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 stalks celery , thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices , optional
Add bratwurst to a large stockpot on medium-high heat and cook, breaking into large chunks until well browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove sausage and add in the onions, carrots, and celery.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent.
- Add in the black pepper and flour, whisking well until no longer raw.
Whisk in the whole milk and chicken broth slowly and cook until thickened and creamy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in cheddar cheese and whisk well until creamy and melted.
- Top with jalapeno slices if desired. For more muted spice add the jalapenos in with the milk.