Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup is a quick, comforting one pot dinner. Made in a smooth, thick broth with Italian sausage, spinach, and cheesy tortellini.
CREAMY SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
Tortellini Soup is a simple and classic Italian recipe. You can make the whole dish with just 5 ingredients, but it’s still incredibly flavorful. The tortellini pasta is cheese-filled, making it an even more rich dish than your typical noodle soup. The sausage has delicious Italian spices, and the fresh spinach brings a savory earth taste to the soup.
You can serve your Tortellini and Sausage Soup as a side dish or as the main dish. To make a filling dinner, with Creamy Tortellini Soup as the main, try adding some sides like crusty bread and a salad. You can always use store-bought bread, but if you want something extra special try making Pesto Cheesy Bread. Some salads that would go great with Creamy Tortellini Soup are our Easy Greek Salad and Classic Wedge Salad recipes.
Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup is sure to become a go-to recipe in your house. It turns out irresistibly creamy, but it’s oh-so easy to make. It’s the perfect comfort food for the next time you need to throw something together quickly. All you have to do is cook the sausage, then add the broth, tortellini fresh spinach and heavy cream. You’d be hard pressed to find an easier recipe. Especially one that turns out this flavorful and family-friendly.
It’s also a great recipe to make some extra and freeze for later. It keeps well, so you’ll have a delicious dinner ready with hardly any work.
MORE ITALIAN SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CREAMY SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup: Instead of using sausage in this Tortellini Soup Recipe you can cook up some chicken breast to put in the soup. However, the Chicken Tortellini Soup won’t have the flavor that comes with Italian Sausage. To make up for this, try adding some Italian seasoning or other spices to your Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup. Instead of making Chicken Tortellini Soup, you could also try using turkey.
- Cheesy Tortellini Soup: Although, there’s already plenty of cheese in the cheese tortellini, you can add even more melty cheese to the soup before serving it. Sprinkle some fresh parmesan cheese to the top of the soup. You can also put some Parmesan Cheese out on the table so people can add it as they want.
- Broth: Instead of using chicken broth, you can exchange it for beef broth or vegetable broth.
- Tomato-based Tortellini Soup: Try making your soup with a creamy tomato sauce. Prepare the soup as usual, but add a can of tomato paste after you add the chicken broth. Make sure to mix the tomato paste in with the broth and cream. The tomato sauce will make this Tortellini Soup recipe even more creamy and flavorful.
- More add-ins: There are so many other flavorful ingredients you can try the next time you make Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup. Try adding in some veggies like chopped carrots, green onion, diced tomato, and fire-roasted tomatoes. You can also cook up some minced garlic, and onion along with the sausage. Cook the garlic and onion in the skillet until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant. To make your creamy soup more filling try adding some white beans or gnocchi noodles. To make Creamy Tortellini Soup more flavorful mix in some Italian seasoning, fresh basil, garlic salt, black pepper, or red pepper flakes.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE CREAMY SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
Creamy Tortellini Soup is easy to make over the stove top. However, if you’d like to leave it to cook during the day, you can make it in a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup:
- Start by crumbling the Italian sausage and browning it in a skillet. Once it’s browned remove the excess fat from the sausage.
- Add the Italian Sausage and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Set the crock pot to medium-low heat and let the soup cook for 7-8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before you’re done cooking, add the cheese tortellini, spinach, and cream to the crock pot.
- Stir occasionally, then serve.
Another option, instead of using a dutch oven, is to prepare your Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup in an instant pot.
Instant Pot Tortellini Soup:
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Put some extra-virgin olive oil in the bottom of the pot and brown the Italian sausage.
- Add in the broth. Use a spoon to stir and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the instant pot.
- Seal and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- After quick releasing set the instant pot to sauté again. Once the soup begins to boil add the tortellini and cook the pasta.
- Still on sauté add the spinach and stir in the half-and-half. Cook until pasta is done and the spinach is wilted.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CREAMY SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
- Serve: After cooking Sausage Tortellini Soup, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the soup cool, then store it in an airtight container to keep in the fridge. It will keep well for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Properly sealed, you can store Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage ground
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups spinach
- 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, crumble and brown sausage. When done, remove onto paper towel lined plate. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Return pot to heat. Add chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Return the sausage to the pan along with the tortellini and add in the spinach, simmer 7 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked.
- Stir in the heavy cream and stir well to combine.