Cheeseburger Casserole is an easy dinner with delicious cheeseburger filling topped with fresh baked sesame seed bread topping in less than 45 minutes!
This recipe tastes just like a McDonald’s Cheeseburger! And if you want McDonald’s at home, you need to try my Big Mac Sloppy Joes I just posted last week. They have the perfect secret sauce mixture in them.
Cheeseburger Casserole isn’t like any other casserole recipe you’ll find in magazines. This is the perfect blend of delicious cheeseburger filling (which btw happens to taste like a homemade McDonald’s Cheeseburger) that is topped with a tube of French Bread dough.
If you’re looking for more delicious casseroles I highly suggest my super popular Chicken Casserole recipe. It has a buttery cracker topping and it 100% kid tested and approved.
That dough bakes up to be deliciously browned, soft and toasted with a sesame seed topping, the perfect top to a cheeseburger.
I like to serve the casserole topped with pickles, lettuce and ketchup but the toppings are up to you!
MORE BURGER RECIPES TO ENJOY:
Using French Bread Dough:
I used French Bread Dough (from a can, just as easy!) for this recipe to best mimic a freshly baked hamburger bun. You can of course top your casserole with crescent dough (buy the sheets, they’re easier to work with) or puff pastry as well.
I did test the recipe if you were to top it with chopped up hamburger buns and found it was just too soggy so I suggest avoiding using hamburger buns as a topping.
You can also use canned biscuits but the texture of a hamburger would not really be achieved.
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole:
- First you’re going to brown the beef and onions, then add in the tomatoes, ketchup, mustard and spices.
- Layer the beef and cover with American cheese.
- Cover with French Bread Dough.
- Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
See steps pictured below:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
As long as you keep the base recipe the same you can add in any additional ingredients you’d like to this recipe.
- Bacon – this would be the most obvious addition, crumbled cooked bacon makes a delicious addition to your cheeseburger casserole.
- Mushrooms – If adding mushrooms you can even change up the cheese to slices of Swiss cheese for a fun different flavor.
- BBQ Sauce – Add bbq sauce instead of ketchup to make it a most western flavored burger casserole (add the bacon still) and serve it topped with Crispy Fried Onions.
- Vegetables – Any additional chopped vegetables you’d like! A few good options here would be bell peppers or olives or jalapenos for a spicy kick!
MORE KID FAVORITE RECIPES:
How to Store:
- Serve: You can keep the casserole at room temperature for up to 2 hours if you’re serving this recipe for an event.
- Store: Store the casserole leftovers in a refrigerator for up to three days in a sealed airtight container.
- Freeze: Allow to cool completely and freeze in air-tight container for up to 3 months.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef , (85/15)
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 12 slices American cheese
- 1 can French Bread dough , (Pillsbury or store brand)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
To a large dutch oven, add the ground beef and onion on medium high heat, stirring until cooked, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the chopped pickles, diced tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, salt and black pepper.
- Add the ground beef mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with sliced American cheese evenly over the beef mixture.
- Unroll the French bread dough over the cheese slices
- Mix the egg well with water then brush the top of the dough with the egg mixture and top with sesame seeds.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.