The BEST Buffalo Wings you’ll ever eat and they’re oven baked! Tossed with a delicious buffalo wing sauce these will be the hit of your parties!
Buffalo Wings are the classic bar food, party appetizer and ultimate finger food when you’re looking to entertain. The flavors are so popular it actually inspired a dip recipe that is now equally popular during the holidays, Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip!
While most buffalo wings you’re served in restaurants are deep fried these buffalo wings are baked in the oven before being tossed in a homemade buffalo chicken sauce.
Baked vs Fried: This version of Baked buffalo wings are cooked in the oven instead of the deep fryer. At the right temperature and if thoroughly prepped ahead of time they’re just as crispy as the fried version. I toss the buffalo wings in a flour and seasoning mixture before letting the chicken rest and air out in the refrigerator before baking and tossing with buffalo wing sauce.
Why are they called Buffalo Wings?
Buffalo Wings were created in a restaurant in Buffalo, New York at a restaurant called the Anchor Bar in the 1960s. What used to once be a bar food is now they’re served at restaurants of all kinds ranging from casual to even high end.
The buffalo wing is the kind of bar food, game day food and even take out. More chicken wings are used in making buffalo wings than any other preparation in the United States. In fact during the Super Bowl, over 1 billion Buffalo Wings are consumed per the National Chicken Council. Buffalo wings are the kind of game day food.
Difference between a Chicken Wing and a Buffalo Wing?
Chicken wings generally refer to the entire wing portion connected at the joints including the tip. Buffalo wings are usually made up of the smaller drummette piece, flat wingette piece and the tip of the wing is discarded.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
How do you make Buffalo wing sauce?
- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk it together until combined and bubbling.
What to serve with buffalo wings?
- We serve buffalo wings with celery and carrot sticks as a way to temper spicy flavors and to add extra texture to your plate.
- Sauces: Along with Blue Cheese Dressing for dipping people will also sometimes use ranch in place of blue cheese dressing.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Wings
If you’d like to make these buffalo wings in your slow cooker add all the seasonings to the chicken wing pieces (skip the flour) and let it dry in the refrigerator. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours before draining the fat and adding in the buffalo wing sauce and cooking for an additional hour on high heat.
For full directions you can refer to our post below for Slow Cooker Buffalo Wings.
BUFFALO FLAVORED RECIPES:
How to make buffalo wings:
There’s just a few ingredients in buffalo wings but the method is the most important.
- Season: Air dry the chicken after seasoning. Making sure the skin is dry before cooking is the best way to ensure a crispy skin.
- Flour: Toss with a bit of flour before air drying too.
- Bake: Try not to move the chicken around too much or open the oven during baking other than to flip the chicken once.
- Sauce: To keep it as crispy as possible only toss with the sauce right before serving.
- Sides: If you’re making homemade blue cheese to serve with the wings make sure to puree it a bit more so dipping doesn’t have huge chunks.
HOW TO STORE BUFFALO WINGS:
- Serve: Buffalo wings are best served immediately after cooking. They’ll be hot and crispy while seasoned with the hot wing sauce. As they sit the sauce will soak into the crispy skin causing it to soften. You can keep these at room temperature for up to 2 hours if serving for a party.
- Store: If you have not tossed them in the buffalo wing sauce yet, you can store undressed. Then add to a hot 450 degree oven for 3-5 minutes to re-crisp the skin before tossing with buffalo sauce. If you have already dressed the wings you can crisp them up again in the oven and toss with additional sauce, but the flavors will be different than when originally cooked as they will be sauced twice.
- Freeze: These are best if frozen before being tossed in the sauce. Freeze on a single layer before adding to an airtight container. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator, then heat as detailed in the storing instructions.
The BEST Buffalo Wings you'll ever eat and they're oven baked! Tossed with a delicious buffalo wing sauce these will be the hit of your parties!
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- Dry out the buffalo wings with paper towels then toss with a mixture of the flour, cayenne, garlic powder and salt before setting in the refrigerator uncovered to chill for an hour.
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the wings for 25 minutes before flipped the chicken and cooking an additional 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and tossing with buffalo wing sauce.
Remove the chicken from the pan, turn the oven onto broil, and add to a clean piece of foil on the baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watching to make sure they don't burn.