S’mores Bars are an easy, decadent 5 ingredient dessert layered with marshmallows, milk chocolate, and graham cracker crust, no campfire required!
One of our favorite, easy treats to make all year is Classic S’mores. The magic you can make with a few simple ingredients is endless and these S’mores Bars are another to add to your list and our Dessert Recipes collection.
There are few desserts as universally well-loved as S’mores. They are so easy you can literally make them while camping in the woods with 3 ingredients. Something about toasting a mallow and sandwiching it between graham crackers and chocolate brings out the joy in pretty much everyone.
The only downside to making s’mores is that few of us have campfires in our kitchens plus they can be a bit sticky and messy. So we don’t usually eat these gooey treats as much as we would like to… until now.
Our S’mores Bars recipe has all the melty goodness of your favorite campfire treat, but is portable and you don’t have to make them one or two at a time. You can bake up a whole batch of these delicious bars in the time it would take to get a fire going.
I’ve been making this recipe since I started dating my now husband and I used to make it for my best friend any time she’d come to visit us when we moved away. It has a pretty special spot in my heart because it is the recipe I used to make for the people I loved most before I ever went to culinary school.
What we like best about them is that you can eat them year round. With slight variations you can make this recipe holiday themed, you can send them to school as a lunch treat, or you can rule summer time playdates with these as a snack.
The second best thing? This recipe has a perfectly ratio’d crust which means you won’t have a crumbly mess when you cut these bars. They slice GREAT (assuming they’re completely chilled before cutting).
Speaking of variations, just like classic s’mores, you can add all kinds of candies and cookies to make these even more delicious. We’ve included some of our favorite versions to inspire you below.
MORE TASTY MARSHMALLOW DESSERTS
HOW TO MAKE S’MORES BARS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and salt.
- Press mixture into pan and bake 10 minutes.
- Top with the 4 cups of the mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes to let the marshmallows deflate.
- Add the whole bag of milk chocolate chips in an even layer.
- Top with remaining marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Chill completely before slicing.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON S’MORES BARS
- Peanut Butter: Top your S’mores Bars with peanut butter chips or chopped up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Use crushed peanuts for even more nutty flavor.
- Chocolate: We used milk chocolate in this recipe, but you can amp up the chocolate flavor by swapping in dark chocolate chips, drizzling with chocolate, and/or using chocolate graham crackers.
- Cookies: Instead of graham crackers, use your favorite cookies. We like to use Oreos and top with White Chocolate Chips in addition to the milk chocolate and marshmallows.
- Rice Krispies: Mix a baked graham cracker crust or unbaked graham cracker crumbs into Rice Krispies Treats. Use this as your crust and follow the rest of the recipe like normal for an extra crispy, gooey marshmallow treat.
- Marshmallows: Switch up your marshmallows by making Homemade Marshmallows. You can also look for seasonal marshmallows for a fun, flavorful twist.
- Christmas S’mores: Give this S’mores recipe a holiday makeover. Use peppermint marshmallow, mint chips, and crushed candy canes as toppings.
FAQS ABOUT S’MORES BARS
- Can you use Marshmallow Creme instead of Mini Marshmallows? Pre-bake your graham cracker crumb crust before spreading Marshmallow Creme on top. Melt chocolate and top as usual. This will be an extremely gooey version, closer to a melty candy bark. If I were you I would use this as a last resort, use mini marshmallows because the moisture content is what we need for the recipe.
- Where did S’mores originate? You most likely have the Girl Scouts to thank for the original “some mores” recipe. Rumor is that in the 1920s, a scout leader named Loretta Scott Crew was the first to make these for her very lucky Scouts.
- What is Marshmallow made of? Marshmallows are made from sugar, water, and gelatin that are whipped up to a fluffy consistency. Regular marshmallows are not vegan, but you can buy or make them with agar agar nowadays.
MORE BAR AND BROWNIE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE S’MORES BARS
- Serve: You can keep these bars at room temperature for up 2 weeks in a sealed container. Keep in a cool dry place.
- Store: If you keep these in fridge, they can get really hard. Take them out and let them warm up to room temperature if you store in the fridge.
- Freeze: Again, not a great bar to keep in the fridge because the marshmallow is going to get rock solid. Let thaw on the counter if you decide to freeze.
S'mores Bars are an easy, decadent 5 ingredient dessert layered with marshmallows, milk chocolate, and graham cracker crust, no campfire required!
- 30 graham crackers , 2 packs, crushed to crumbs
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows , 6 cups
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs (set aside 1/4 cup of the graham cracker crumbs), butter and salt.
Press mixture into 9x13 pan and bake 10 minutes.
Top with 4 cups of the mini marshmallows and bake for 10 more minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes to let the marshmallows deflate.
Add the whole bag of milk chocolate chips in an even layer.
Top with remaining marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs and bake for 10 more minutes.
Let cool completely before slicing.