Sausage and Apple French Toast Bake is an easy make-ahead breakfast with classic Autumn flavors. Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning!
SAUSAGE AND APPLE FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Sausage and Apple French Toast Bake is the perfect breakfast for the holidays, or just weekend mornings. The baked apples and breading will remind you of classic baked goods like Apple Pie, but the sausage brings its own savory flavor. These two key ingredients balance each other out wonderfully for a breakfast that’s equal parts sweet and savory.
The traditional flavors of baked apples and sausage make this the ultimate Autumn recipe. Leaving it in the fridge overnight allows time for the bread to soften up and absorb the flavors surrounding it. Once it’s in the oven it will fill your whole house with it’s delicious smell. That alone will be enough to get everyone out of bed, even on cold mornings.
Because it’s made all in one casserole dish this is an easy and portable breakfast to take to potlucks or brunches. Top it with some maple syrup and serve it with a side of eggs for the best brunch dish ever. You and your guests won’t be able to get enough of the warm and cozy flavors of this breakfast bake. Just be prepared for everyone to ask you for the recipe.
HOW TO DRY OUT BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST
When it comes to making French Toast or French Toast Bakes like this one, it’s best to use slightly older bread. If the bread is slightly more stale it will do a better job absorbing the custard. The end result is a soft toasted bread with a crisp outside. However, if you’re using fresh bread there are a couple ways to dry it out.
- Simply leave your bread out at room temperature for 8 hours or so, before making the French toast.
- If you didn’t remember to leave your bread out, just pop it in the oven to dry it out. Leaving it in the oven for 15 minutes at 250 degrees should do the trick.
MORE FRENCH TOAST RECIPES
PERFECT MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST
One of the reasons this bake is so perfect for the holidays, is that you prep it all the night before. Rather than having to wake up at the crack of dawn to throw together an elaborate breakfast, you can get everything ready ahead. Here are the simple steps to prepping your breakfast bake:
- Prepare your baking sheet with cooking spray so the French Toast won’t stick to it.
- Brown the sausage.
- Combine the bread cubes, apples, and sausage. Add the mixture to your baking dish.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs, then pour the custard over the bread.
- Cover the dish and store it in the refrigerator until the morning.
Since you get all this done the night before, you won’t have to worry about cleanup or anything else in the morning. Just make sure the first person to wake up pops the bake in the oven. Your family will have the best breakfast waiting for them when they wake up.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SAUSAGE AND APPLE FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- Meat: You can exchange the sausage for ham, bacon, or turkey bacon. You could also try different kinds of sausage such as Italian or spicy to change up the flavor more.
- Fruit: There are plenty of other fruits you can try in this French Toast Bake apart from apples. Some good options would be peaches, bananas, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Bread: If you don’t have Italian bread, try French bread, sourdough, brioche, Texas toast, or challah. Any of these make great French toast.
- Cinnamon: Before mixing the apples with the bread and sausage, try coating them in cinnamon sugar. Mix together a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Toss the apples in this mixture until coated. You can also add some nutmeg and other classic spices to the blend.
HOW TO STORE SAUSAGE AND APPLE FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- Serve: Don’t leave your Sausage and Apple French Toast Bake at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the breakfast bake has cooled to room temperature, you can cover and store it in the fridge. It will stay good for a week.
- Freeze: If carefully sealed, you can store your French Toast Bake in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it defrost in the fridge before you reheat it in the oven.
Sausage and Apple French Toast Bake
- 2 pounds pork sausage
- 3 medium apples , cut into 1/2-inch chunks (tart apples like Granny Smith work best)
- 12 cups Italian bread , cubed
- 9 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- Spray a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray.
In a medium pot over medium heat, cook and crumble sausage for 6-8 minutes until no longer pink. Combine sausage, apples, and bread in a large bowl, then spread evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in another bowl, then pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats.
Bake, covered, for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Uncover the casserole and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes until golden brown.