A Korean Egg Roll made with just ground beef, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Sweet and gingery with a soft center, these beef egg rolls are a-mazing! The perfect party food!
Korean Egg Roll with Ground Beef? Yes.
Korean Ground Beef Egg Rolls weren’t originally on my list of recipes to make. Why you ask? Because I’d never heard of them. What I had heard of, and made before, was Korean Ground Beef which is one of our favorite shortcut meals to make with ground beef. So when I had about a cup of it left over and about a half a dozen egg roll wrappers I had one of those cartoon light bulb moments.
Oh my goodness, yes. So many times yes. They were so easy to make and so good I used my second pack of ground beef I intended to make lasagna with to make a huge batch of these Korean egg rolls. I sent my husband (with both kids in tow…he is a saint!) to the store to buy two more packs of egg roll wrappers and just about an hour later I had wrapped and set to freeze 48 additional beef egg rolls.
They are that good.
These Beef Egg Rolls are GOOOOD.
The best part is these Korean beef egg rolls are different. They aren’t normal spring rolls or egg rolls. They are sweet and gingery and have a soft center with the carrots. There’s a hint of the slaw I normally make with Korean Ground Beef because I scooped the filling onto a small piece of napa cabbage to help prevent the liquid from soaking through the egg roll wrappers. I even added some matchstick carrot sticks to the pan I took the beef out of. I cooked them for a few minutes to soften them and added them to my newly concocted Korean egg roll.
My Korean egg roll twist has officially been labeled “Second best egg rolls EVER” which is a pretty big compliment to them because I don’t know what could knock Cheesesteak Egg Rolls off the top spot for my husband. You can easily make these Korean egg rolls with the ground meat of your choice, I tend to serve them with a light salad with Miso dressing based on my favorite Costco Asian Salad Kit and creamy miso dressing.
Korean Ground Beef Egg Rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger , minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha (use less if you don't like spice!)
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- 10 Napa Cabbage leaves , torn into small squares using the most tender parts
- 2 Carrots , cut into matchsticks
- oil , for frying
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat.
- Brown the meat with sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- Drain 75% of the fat, add brown sugar, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- Cook until the liquid has reabsorbed and the meat is shiny but not soupy.
- Remove meat from pan, and add in the carrot sticks.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until they are slightly softened.
- Let the beef and carrots cool.
- Working in sets of 4 lay out your egg roll wrappers.
- Add a small square of napa cabbage to the egg rolls.
- Add 5 or 6 carrot pieces and two tablespoons of beef.
- Wet the sides with water using your finger.
- Fold the sides in and wet the folded in sides.
- Roll closed like a burrito and set aside until you finish all 24.
- Freeze on a cookie sheet or tray without them touching each other.
From frozen, fry for 3-4 minutes in 350 degree oil.
- Drain on drying rack to prevent sogginess or the egg rolls sitting in oil.