Indian Keema Aloo is a traditional one-pot dish of spicy ground beef and tender potatoes. Seasoned with cumin, ginger, coriander, and turmeric.
INDIAN KEEMA ALOO (GROUND BEEF AND POTATOES)
Keema Aloo is a classic comfort food popular in Pakistan and India. “Keema” means meat and “aloo” is referring to the potatoes. These two simple ingredients come together with a variety of mouthwatering spices to make the signature flavor of Keema Aloo. It’s the perfect comfort food, especially for colder seasons when the spices will help warm you right up.
In this recipe you cook the ground beef, potatoes, tomatoes, and peas all together. So, you already have your main dish and some sides covered. It’s always great to find dinner recipes, where you don’t have to worry about cooking up vegetables or anything else separately. However, if you want to whip up some Indian Raita, it will only take about 5 minutes. Raita is a cooling sauce that you can put over most classic Indian recipes. It’s great to have on your table in case the dish is too spicy for anyone, they can add a bit of this cooling sauce over the top. Other than that serve it up with some white rice or naan, and your dinner is ready to go.
Like most Indian dishes, Keema Aloo is somewhat spicy, but it’s not anything extreme. The spices all balance each other out nicely, and the potatoes help mellow the recipe. You can always taste it as you go to make sure it’s nothing you can’t handle. If you’re still worried it will be too spicy, cut back on the hottest ingredients like jalapeño and cayenne pepper. One of the things that makes Keema Aloo such a great recipe is that you can adjust the ingredients to your taste.
MAKE-AHEAD INDIAN KEEMA ALOO
Keema Aloo is a great dish to make in advance and store in your freezer. Once the Keema Aloo has cooled, put it in serving sized airtight containers. It will be ready to take with you as a packed lunch or quick dinner. The ground beef and potatoes should keep well for up to 3 months.
Take your serving of Keema Aloo out of the freezer the night before you plan to eat it, and let it defrost in the fridge. You can reheat it in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop. The meat and potatoes will have absorbed more of the spices to be even more flavorful.
MORE TRADITIONAL INDIAN RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON INDIAN KEEMA ALOO (GROUND BEEF AND POTATOES)
- Meat: Instead of using ground beef you can follow the same recipe using ground chicken, lamb or pork.
- Potatoes: While this recipe calls for russet potatoes, there are plenty of others you can use in Indian Keema Aloo. Try Yukon potatoes, red potatoes, or purple potatoes. You could even add in some sweet potatoes to the recipe.
- Veggies: Try adding in some extra vegetables to cook along with the peas and tomatoes. Chopped eggplant, cauliflower, or carrots would do nicely.
SLOW COOKER INDIAN KEEMA ALOO (GROUND BEEF AND POTATOES)
- Mix together the onions and spices.
- Add the onion mixture, tomatoes, beef, potatoes, and other ingredients to the crock pot. Put in everything except the green peas.
- Set the crock pot to low and let it cook for 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before Keema Aloo is done add the peas to the slow cooker.
INSTANT POT INDIAN KEEMA ALOO (GROUND BEEF AND POTATOES)
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Add the oil and begin to cook the onion. Continue to sauté until the onions are lightly browned.
- Mix in the spices and a splash of water. Stir it with the onions for another minute or so.
- Add the beef and brown it for 6-8 minutes.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in the instant pot and mix them well.
- Seal the lid and set the instant pot to pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- After the Keema Aloo is cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then manually release the rest.
HOW TO STORE KEEMA ALOO (GROUND BEEF AND POTATOES)
- Serve: Don’t leave Keema Aloo at room temperature for more than 2 hours, after it’s cooked.
- Store: Once it’s cooled, store the ground beef and potatoes in an airtight container. They’ll keep well in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Store your Keema Aloo in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating the dish.
Indian Keema Aloo (Ground Beef and Potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes , do not drain
- 3 russet potatoes , peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Add oil and onion to a large pot on medium heat.
Cook onions, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes until translucent.
Add in coriander, garam masala, cumin, salt, turmeric, ginger and cayenne and stir well, then cook for 1 minute.
Add in beef and cook, breaking it apart and stirring occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
Add in garlic and jalapenos, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, water, and potatoes and stir well.
Bring to a simmer, then cook for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add in frozen peas, stir and serve.