Hamburger Soup has all the flavor of your favorite burger made into a hearty, comforting soup with extra veggies and beef broth. Ready in only 45 minutes!
Soup Recipes with beef like Beef Noodle Soup and Vegetable Beef Soup are always great to make on cold nights because they’re delicious, filling, and will warm you right up. This one is an especially kid-friendly recipe, made with ground beef, that the whole family will love.
Delicious Hamburger Soup is sure to become a new go-to weeknight meal in your house. It all comes together incredibly easily in one pot. Most of the total time for the recipe is hands-off as you just let the ingredients cook and blend together. You’ll love how the aroma of tomatoes and beef fills the house while the soup simmers to perfection on the stovetop.
To take even more inspiration from a hamburger serve your soup with some Easy Dinner Rolls. That way you’ll have the meat, tomato, flavor, and the rolls are like the hamburger bun. Any kind of bread is always great for dipping in soup and getting every last bit of flavorful broth.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE EASY HAMBURGER SOUP
- Sear: Start by browning the ground beef. Add vegetable or olive oil to a large dutch oven or soup pot and turn the stovetop on to high heat. Put in the beef, salt, pepper, and onion. Use a spoon to break apart the beef as it cooks and make sure it gets browned on all sides.
- Broth: Pour the beef broth and tomato sauce over the top of the beef mixture. Add the diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning in then mix it all together.
- Cook: Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and continue to cook it with the pot uncovered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add the frozen peas, carrots, corn, and green beans. Let it simmer for another 15 minutes until they’re tender.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON HAMBURGER SOUP
- Meat: Instead of using ground beef you could also use stew meat or chuck roast cut into bite-sized pieces. If you’re trying to avoid saturated fat use lean ground beef. Another way to change things up is by using ground turkey or ground chicken. Just keep in mind that these options won’t taste as similar to a hamburger.
- Filling add-ins: If you’re serving this to a bigger group and want to add some more filling ingredients besides the beef you could put in russet potatoes or pasta like tortellini, ditalini, or egg noodles.
- Cheeseburger: To make this Hamburger Soup taste like a classic cheeseburger add some shredded American cheese over the top of the soup before serving.
- More add-ins: There are lots of other add-ins you can try in Hamburger Soup. To change up the flavor try mixing in some Worcestershire sauce or BBQ Sauce along with the tomato and beef broth. You could also toss in some other vegetables like chopped celery, bell peppers, and fire-roasted tomatoes. For some more flavor add-ins try seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, bay leaf, or minced garlic.
INSTANT POT HAMBURGER SOUP
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode and add oil to the base.
- Add in the ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides breaking it apart as you go.
- After searing the meat, add tomato sauce, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning to the instantpot.
- Stir the soup together.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the rest.
- Add the frozen carrots, peas, corn, and green beans. Let simmer for another few minutes so the vegetables can heat through, then serve.
SLOW COOKER HAMBURGER SOUP
- Start by searing the hamburger meat, onion, salt, and pepper in a skillet over high heat.
- Once the meat is browned, add it to the slow cooker.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning over the top.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- About a half-hour before the soup is done cooking add the frozen vegetables into the crock pot, then cover and continue cooking.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HAMBURGER SOUP
HOW TO STORE HAMBURGER SOUP
- Serve: Don’t leave hamburger soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the soup has cooled, you can store it in the fridge. Kept in an airtight container it will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: This Hamburger Soup recipe can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating the soup on the stovetop.
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , do not drain
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning , link to our Italian Seasoning
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables , (peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
Add ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper, breaking it apart as you cook it until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning and stir well.
Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then stir in the frozen vegetables and cook for 15 minutes.