Chocolate Covered Oreos are sandwich cookies smothered in chocolate and hardened into the PERFECT combo of sweet and crunchy. They’re incredibly easy to make and a great holiday treat!
We know that everything is a little bit better when dipped in chocolate, and this week we’re testing out Chocolate Covered Pretzels, Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas, and Oreo Balls (Oreo Truffles)!
Chocolate Covered Oreos
Chocolate Covered Oreos are cookies dipped in a melted chocolate coating and decorated with more chocolate, sprinkles, or candy. They have a sweet outer shell, with a crunchy cookie center that makes this one of my favorite desserts to give as gifts on the holidays.
These also look great sitting on a holiday table, because you can decorate them for almost any occasion. Add a few drops of food coloring to melted white chocolate to create fun colors.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS ON A STICK?
You can make Oreo cookie pops using lollipop sticks. Push the stick into the middle of the white cream in the center of the cookie, then dip into the melted chocolate. Hold the stick for a few seconds to let any excess chocolate drip off, then place onto the parchment paper and decorate with any toppings you have.
If your lollipop sticks aren’t staying in place, dip them in the chocolate before pushing it into the cookie. When the chocolate hardens, it will help hold the stick in place.
CAN CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS BE MADE AHEAD?
These treats are perfect for making ahead because they can be stored at room temperature for about 2-3 weeks in an airtight container. Avoid any warm temperatures, like sunlight from an open window, or the chocolate could melt. I don’t recommend freezing them as the chocolate will not look right once they defrost.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO ADD SPRINKLES TO CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS
The trick to adding sprinkles to chocolate covered treats (or any topping) is to add it when the chocolate is still wet, so as it dries they’ll stick. As soon as you dip them and set them down on the parchment paper add the topping right away.
- White chocolate
- Salted caramel sauce
- Sea salt
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Crushed cookie crumbs
TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS
- Make some chocolate dipped Oreos using melted white chocolate chips for the coating and drizzle with dark chocolate for a contrasting color on the serving tray.
- Put parchment paper or wax paper down on your work surface to avoid chocolate sticking to your countertops, and the Oreos from sticking as they harden.
- Drizzle with melted peanut butter for peanut butter chocolate dipped Oreos!
- If you don’t have semisweet chocolate disks you can use chocolate chips for the melting chocolate.
- You can make these chocolate dipped Oreos with any kind of Oreo cookie! Try peppermint Oreos with a white chocolate coating and crushed peppermint candies on top.
- Wrap 3-4 cookies in plastic gift bags with a ribbon tied around the top for the perfect holiday gift for teachers, coworkers, or anyone else you want to give a small homemade gift to.
- If you don’t want to microwave the chocolate you can melt it on the stove in a double boiler, stirring continuously.
Chocolate Covered Oreos
Chocolate Covered Oreos are sandwich cookies smothered in chocolate and hardened into the PERFECT combo of sweet and crunchy. They're incredibly easy to make and a great holiday treat!
Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments.
- Dip the Oreos, tapping with a fork, scrape most of the chocolate off the fork and place onto parchment paper to harden.
- Place remaining chocolate into piping bag and squeeze over Oreos and allow to harden fully before eating.
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.