Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas dipped in melted homemade chocolate magic shell and covered in peanuts. The perfect slightly healthy treat!
Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas have been a favorite of ours every time we would go to Disneyland. Rationally speaking they’re actually a pretty healthy treat, with just a thin coat of chocolate, the frozen banana has a creamy ice cream texture and the nuts are a healthy snack that will keep you fuller longer.
Like my Klondike Bar copycat, these Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas benefit from my homemade magic chocolate shell that I make with bittersweet chocolate disks and coconut oil. The coconut oil helps the chocolate harden to a shatteringly thin and crisp texture. If you don’t want the hint of coconut flavor (its not very pronounced, I promise) you can also substitute vegetable shortening.
So I thought I would be fancy and do half covered in peanuts so it wasn’t just all one look….
Oh My! These turned out a *bit* inappropriate, so back to the kitchen for more chopped peanuts!
I thought it could be just me seeing something nefarious, but no, every friend I asked confirmed it was not safe for work. In fact it was better suited to a bachelorette party which is why it was featured in this Buzzfeed Roundup today! So nevermind all the photos I took of half dipped Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas.
Want to use other toppings for the bananas? Here are some alternate options:
- Chopped M&Ms or Mini M&Ms.
- Sprinkles….so many kinds of sprinkles (I have over 60 types in my baking kit).
- Chocolate Chips.
- Alternate nuts like chopped almonds, cashews or pecans.
- Graham cracker crumbs and cereal marshmallows for a frozen banana s’mores pop.
- Peanut butter chips.
- Toffee bits.
- Drizzled chocolate of different varieties like white, milk or dark chocolate.
- Dip the banana in caramel sauce first, freeze again, then dip in chocolate (THIS IS AMAZING!).
- Freeze dried fruits like strawberries, raspberries, pineapple or mango.
- Crushed Potato Chips (it works, I promise).
Disney Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas (Copycat)
- 6 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate disks or chips (I use bittersweet, Disney uses semisweet)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Leaving bananas unpeeled, cut off the bottom inch or so, just enough to have the banana be mostly straight for easy dipping.
- Into the cut side of the banana insert the popsicle stick leaving enough to comfortably hold (about 2 inches).
- peel off the banana skin.
- Add the chocolate disks and coconut oil to a cup.
Microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted.
- Dip the frozen, peeled, banana into the melted chocolate and remove, letting all the excess chocolate drip back into the cup, holding it at an upright angle.
- If you let it drip upside down you are fighting gravity, the banana may slip off the popsicle stick and fall into the cup.
- Either roll in the chopped peanuts or sprinkle the peanuts over the banana.
- Put back onto the wax paper and repeat with the remaining bananas.
- But back in the freezer until ready to serve.