Classic beef burrito with Spanish rice, pinto beans and easy carne asada filling that’s perfect for dinner tonight or for meal prepping.
Beef Burrito Recipe
Skip Taco Bell and make this delicious, EASY, beef burritos at home instead of your favorite taqueria. The prep can be done ahead of time and the results are delicious and a total breeze to freeze for later meals.
Burritos, especially those made with freezer friendly ingredients, are the perfect make ahead meal.
How to meal prep burritos:
- Make all the fillings: rice, beans and meat.
- Chop everything to a uniform consistency.
- Lay flat pieces of foil on your table or counter.
- Lay out all the tortillas on their pieces of foil.
- Fill with 1/4 cup of each filling then roll the burrito.
- Roll the foil wrapper after you’ve already rolled the burrito.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Great Burrito Mix-ins:
- Tomato: Fresh diced tomatoes or pico de gallo add lots of flavor.
- Salsa: Jarred or fresh salsa is a great healthy way to add volume to your burrito (but drain it well first.)
- Cheese: shredded cheese would be great for easy melting but cubes of cheese provide great melted cheese pockets.
- Lime Juice/Lime Zest: I add this at the end for a splash of fresh flavor.
- Cilantro: Chopped and added to the burrito for freshness.
WAYS TO ADD MORE FLAVOR:
- Marinade: Marinades are the best for flavor and to help make the beef more tender.
- Sour Cream: adds a creamy, cool element the recipe.
- Guacamole: adds richness and creaminess to the dish and enough flavor to avoid other fats.
Ways to serve Beef Burritos (inside and out of the bun!):
- With flour tortillas or corn tortillas for soft tacos instead.
- In hard taco shells topped with lettuce and tomato or even a creamy slaw.
- With a large salad full of romaine, grape tomatoes, avocados, salsa, and sour cream.
- In a rice bowl, or over cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Baked with enchilada sauce.
- In lettuce cups instead of tortilla wrap.
- Chopped up leftovers stuffed inside of quesadillas for a perfect, easy leftovers meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups prepared Mexican rice
- 1 15 oz. can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 Tablespoons sour cream
- 8 large 10-inch flour tortillas
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion and garlic to skillet. Cook and crumble beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease.
Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, lime juice and water to beef. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes or until mixture comes to warm room temperature.
Lay tortillas out on a flat surface and divide the beans, cheese, beef,rice and sour cream among the 8 tortillas. Fold each burrito-style.
- Wrap each burrito with saran wrap, and then place burritos in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Freeze up to 2 months.
To Reheat: Unwrap burrito from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve and enjoy!