BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole is an easy kid-friendly dinner ready in 1 hour! Tasty bbq chicken filling topped with cheddar cheese and homemade cornbread.
BBQ CHICKEN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
This tasty dinner recipe is easy to make, kid-approved, and ready in no time with ingredients you are sure to have on hand. Whether you make it on a busy weeknight or prep it ahead of time for later, you’ll love this quick and delicious one-pan dinner. With a mild and tangy BBQ chicken filling and golden brown, homemade cornbread topping, this is sure to be a hit with everyone!
This BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole is topped with a slightly sweet cornbread made from scratch. You can always use a box of cornbread mix, but this homemade version is just as easy and so much more tasty. Use whatever BBQ sauce you have on hand or make your own BBQ Sauce if you have some extra time!
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole is an easy one-pan meal perfect with a side of easy kid-friendly veggies like Roasted Broccoli or Sautéed Green Beans. This chili-barbecue casserole is great with topping likes sour cream, more cheddar cheese, and green onions. Serve BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole with other cookout favorites like Coleslaw and Mac and Cheese for a tasty summer BBQ dinner without a grill!
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
Make Ahead BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole
Cook the ground chicken, onions, and bell peppers until chicken is cooked through and onions ares soft. Stir in the barbecue sauce and tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare cornbread mixture. Once chicken filling is cool, layer meat, cheese, and cornbread in freezer safe baking dish. Wrap with plastic wrap tightly and cover dish with aluminum foil (or lid) and freeze up to 3 months. Bake from frozen covered with foil (remove plastic wrap) for 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BBQ CHICKEN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- Leftovers: Instead of ground chicken, you can make this Cornbread Casserole with leftover meat like Pulled Pork or BBQ Beef. Sauté onions and bell peppers until tender, then add cooked meat with the sauce ingredients and finish dish as usual.
- Buffalo Chicken: Give BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole a fiery kick! Replace some or all of the BBQ sauce with up to 1 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce. Make sure it’s buffalo wing sauce (with butter flavor added), or it won’t taste right and will be way too hot. Fold in blue cheese crumbles for even more buffalo flavor!
- Cornbread: You can add up to 1/2 cup tasty cornbread mix-ins like canned and drained corn or green chiles, shredded cheese, scallions, or cooked bacon.
- Hearty: Make this BBQ Chicken Casserole heartier by adding canned black beans or pinto beans, or you can add diced veggies like zucchini, carrots, or corn.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground chicken, onions, and bell peppers in oil for 5-6 minutes, until onions are soft and meat is just cooked through.
- Pour ground chicken mixture into a greased slow cooker and add the sauce ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Prepare the cornbread batter and set aside.
- Top BBQ chicken mixture with shredded cheese.
- Pour cornbread batter over cheese and smooth with spatula to make an even layer.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Toothpick inserted into cornbread should come out clean.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BBQ CHICKEN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- Serve: Let BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving. This BBQ Chicken Casserole can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Once cooled, wrap casserole dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Refrigerate BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole for up to 3 days and reheat in the oven.
- Freeze: Cool BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole and cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze casserole for up to 3 months and thaw overnight before reheating in the oven.
BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine ground chicken, onion, and bell pepper in a large skillet on medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
Add in the barbecue sauce and tomato sauce and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, milk, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg and melted butter.
- In the baking dish layer chicken then the shredded cheese and top with the cornbread mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.