Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken is your next go-to weeknight meal. Buttery chicken in a rich sauce with white wine, thyme, and, yes, 40 garlic cloves.
We already have a recipe for Chicken with 40 Cloves made in the oven. However, this Slow Cooker Dinner makes the chicken easy to set and forget. Simply prep the ingredients, then let them cook in the crock pot while you go about your day.
SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVES OF GARLIC CHICKEN
If the idea of 40 garlic cloves has you nervous, we don’t blame you. It sounds like it would be overwhelming. But instead, these Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs turn out with a mellow garlic flavor throughout that’s wonderfully family-friendly. Plus, it’s all cooked in a rich wine sauce that you’ll want to lick off the plate.
40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken is a classic recipe, that’s made incredibly easy in the slow cooker. All you have to do is brown your chicken thighs in a pan, then they’ll be ready to add to the crock pot with the rest of your ingredients. In fact, the hardest part of the whole recipe is probably peeling the garlic. However, if you find pre-peeled garlic at the store you can cut that step out entirely!
It’s a great recipe, that you could serve for a dinner party or for an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love.
Since you don’t have to worry about the chicken during the cook time, you can also prep some delicious, easy sides for you dinner. Try Sautéed Green Beans, Brown Rice, or even serve the chicken over some noodles.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER CHICKEN
This is a great recipe to reheat and enjoy as leftovers as it is. However, you can also use the Slow Cooker Garlicky Chicken in other recipes. Try shredding the chicken to add it to add it to your favorite Chicken Noodle Soup. You could also cut it into small chicken pieces to add to an easy casserole.
MORE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVE GARLIC CHICKEN
- Prep: Start by seasoning the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add vegetable or olive oil to a skillet and heat. Sear the chicken on each side, until nicely browned this should only take 4-5 minutes for each side.
- Slow Cooker: Add the chicken, garlic, and slices of butter to your slow cooker. Pour the mixture of white wine and rubbed thyme over the top. Turn on the slow cooker, and let it cook low and slow for 8 hours or on high for 4.
- Sauce: Take your chicken and garlic out of the slow cooker. Add the remaining liquid to a saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the liquids and bring to a boil. Stir the mixture until the sauce is thickened. For a creamy sauce add 1/4 cup heavy cream to the liquids. Pour your sauce over the Slow Cooker Chicken, and enjoy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVE OF GARLIC CHICKEN
- Boneless Chicken Thighs: You can prepare this dish with the same ingredients, except using boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Boneless chicken has a faster cooking time, so you’ll need to decrease the time in the crockpot. Cook the chicken on low for 6 hours or high for 3. Remove the boneless chicken thighs and garlic, then prepare the sauce with the other ingredients as usual.
- Chicken Breasts: The same applies if you want to make this dish using boneless chicken breasts. The chicken breasts will have a shorter cooking time than chicken thighs. Make sure to check the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F if you’re not sure your chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Add-ins: There are so many ingredients you can try mixing in to change up your crock pot dinner. Try adding in some soy sauce or chicken broth if you want to change up the flavor of the sauce. You could also add in some chopped onion or red pepper flakes for extra flavor. For some sweetness add in honey to make irresistible Honey Garlic Chicken.
INSTANT POT SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVE GARLIC CHICKEN
Instead of preparing your Garlic Chicken in the crockpot, you can easily make it in an instapot. Follow these simple instructions to get garlickiy chicken that’s just as tender and flavorful as the slow cooker version.
- Set the Instant pot to saute mode, and season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil to the pot.
- Sear the chicken on each side until browned.
- Add all the ingredients and white wine sauce to the instant pot.
- Seal the pot and set to manual to cook for 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken thighs and garlic. Prepare the sauce as usual.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVE GARLIC CHICKEN
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER 40 CLOVE GARLIC CHICKEN
- Serve: Don’t leave cooked crockpot chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If you’re planning on having the chicken out for a while, keep it in the slow cooker on a low heat.
- Store: Store your Garlic Chicken in a ziplock bag or other airtight container in the fridge. It should keep well for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze garlic chicken for up to 6 months. Be sure to let it cool before sealing and storing it in the freezer. The next time you want to enjoy the chicken, let it thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat it in the crockpot or in a dutch oven.
Slow Cooker 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs , skin-on and bone-in
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , sliced thinly
- 40 cloves garlic , peeled (about 3 heads of garlic)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon rubbed thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet on medium high heat.
Sear the chicken on both sides, about 4-5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Add chicken to your slow cooker along with garlic and slices of butter.
- Mix white wine and rubbed thyme and pour around the chicken.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and garlic from pan.
- Add liquid to a saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and water and pour into saucepan.
Bring liquids to a boil and thicken, about 3-4 minutes on high heat.
Pour over chicken and garlic to serve.
- Optional: to make creamy add 1/4 cup heavy cream to liquids in saucepan before thickening.