Loaded Baked Potato Salad is cheesy, creamy and ready in just minutes. It makes the perfect side dish to your holiday meal or potluck!
Loaded Baked Potato Salad seems like a fun summery side dish but it has always been a hit at the holidays!
The easy recipe is perfect for large gatherings because it doesn’t take up a burner on your stovetop or a spot in the oven during the critical last few minutes before serving and it tastes…amazing. Plus now you don’t have to bake a huge bowl of potatoes and have five little bowls of toppings for people to add in at the party.Okay, okay, so you may have noticed or soon be noticing I didn’t add bacon to this. Yes, if I made it for just a couple of people I am all about the bacon, but this dish was made for a lovely vegetarian friend so I nixed the bacon.
Want to add the bacon back in? I do about a half a pound, cooked and crumbled. Then instead of a half a cup of mayonnaise you swap out a bit of it forbacon fat. The result is a super bacony, cheesy, delicious baked potato salad!
Speaking of mayonnaise, I have very strong feelings about using a specific one I love so much I actually have it shipped to me since it isn’t available to us West Coasters locally. Dukes! You lucky people who get to buy it in person, it is the best mayo ever, so yeah, if you can get it locally or are willing to give a new mayo a shot, I think you’ll love it.
If you want to swap the sour cream out, you can also use a greek yogurt instead. It will be a bit tangier than the sour cream, but hey now you can add more cheese with all the calories you saved? 😉
Tools used in the making of this Loaded Baked Potato Salad:
Large Pot with Steamer Insert: Makes life so much easier to lift the potatoes out at once and let them cool without risking a burn trying to strain them into a colander.
Kosher Salt: In 99% of the recipes on this site, you’ll find Kosher salt used. It’s super inexpensive but the flavor is miles better than table salt and less overwhelmingly salty.
Duke’s Mayo: Best mayonnaise ever, and really does add so much to the potato salad. It is more readily available in the middle and east coast of the country, but hey Amazon Prime folks!
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt , divided
- 2 pounds red potatoes , peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 cup scallions , sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crumbled bacon , optional
- Parsley for garnish , optional
- In a large pot add water, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt and potatoes.
Bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a fork pierces the pieces easily.
- Drain, then let the potatoes cool.
In a mixing bowl add the remaining salt, mayonnaise, sour cream and black pepper.
- Toss the potatoes with 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the cheese, and 1/2 of the green onions, reserving the other half for garnish.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight for best results, or for several hours before serving.
- Garnish the potato salad with remaining bacon, cheese, and green onions immediately before serving. Enjoy!