Cheesy Hamburger Hash is a filling, savory breakfast that’s perfect for the whole family with ground beef, melty cheese, and fluffy, crispy potatoes.
This easy Breakfast or brunch dish takes regular Hamburger Hash up a notch with diced peppers and shredded cheddar cheese mixed into the delicious ground beef and potatoes. It’s sure to be your new go-to for a quick, flavorful breakfast.
CHEESY HAMBURGER HASH
Hamburger Hash gets its name because of the ground beef added to the Diced Hashbrowns. With the cheese on top, you could think of this version as Cheeseburger Hash. This simple recipe is all made in one skillet in 20 minutes. You just have to cook the potatoes, then add in the other ingredients, and serve it all with cheese. After making it once or twice, you’ll be able to do it in your sleep!
Hamburger Hash is great for busy days when you want a filling breakfast to give you energy. With the starchy potatoes and protein from the meat and cheese Hamburger Hash is sure to keep you going until lunch.
If you make enough Cheesy Hamburger Hash it can be a meal all on its own, but it’s also a great side dish. I love making this Hash for a big weekend breakfast, or even on a holiday, to go with a sweeter main dish. Try serving Cheesy Hamburger Hash on the side of Pancakes or Waffles. It’s a nice alternative to eggs, and it will make classic breakfast spread more unique.
MORE SAVORY BREAKFAST RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY HAMBURGER HASH
- Prep: Start by peeling and cutting your potato. Then dice your onion and bell pepper. Once the ingredients are prepped, set them aside until it’s time to add them to the pan. Turn the oven on to medium-high heat and add some oil to the base of a large skillet.
- Potatoes: Add the diced potatoes to the skillet and cook them for about 8-10 minutes until they’re lightly browned on all sides. Make sure to stir the potatoes from time to time so they get cooked on different sides.
- Beef: Add in the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Stir and break apart the meat as it all cooks together. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes until the beef is browned, onions are translucent, and the potatoes are tender.
- Serve: Turn off the burner, stir in cheddar cheese, and serve while still hot.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHEESY HAMBURGER HASH
- Meat: To change up the Hash, you can use different kinds of ground meat. Ground sausage, ground turkey, or ground chicken could all work well.
- Potatoes: If you don’t have russet potatoes replace them with yukon, melody, or red potatoes. You can also use shredded potatoes for a classic hash if you prefer.
- Cheese: Try different kinds of cheeses with your Chesy Hamburger Hash. Swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese, gouda, or mozzarella could all taste great melted over the ground beef and potatoes.
- Veggies: You can add different kinds of vegetables along with the hash browns. Try mushrooms, baby spinach, or chopped tomatoes.
- Spices: To easily change up the overall flavor try out different spices like paprika, cumin, thyme, basil, or garlic salt.
MORE BREAKFAST POTATO RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHEESY HAMBURGER HASH
- Serve: After cooking up Cheesy Hamburger Hash, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the hash cool to room temperature, then you can store it in the fridge. Hamburger Hash will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze this breakfast dish for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it let the Hamburger Hash thaw in the fridge. Add the potatoes and ground beef mixture to a skillet again to reheat it for a few minutes before serving warm Cheesy Hamburger Hash.
Cheesy Hamburger Hash
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 russet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1" chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- Add oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat.
Cook the potatoes for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add beef, onions, and bell pepper to the skillet, cooking and breaking the beef apart as it cooks.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Cook well until beef is browned, onions are translucent and potatoes are tender about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese just before serving.