Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken is an easy skillet dinner recipe made with 3 ingredients on your stovetop or oven that will be a family FAVORITE in 30 minutes!
This recipe has a long history on our site including Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken, Brown Sugar Garlic Pork and Brown Sugar Garlic Baked Pork Chops which are all some of our most popular recipes.
BROWN SUGAR GARLIC CHICKEN
This recipe has been requested by readers for years who have LOVED the slow cooker version and the bacon version that is made with white meat chicken. This version is a skinless chicken thigh version I made in a skillet on the stovetop but you can also make a version in your oven with skin on thighs.
Skillet chicken dinners are a great option because you don’t have to take a lot of time to heat up the oven and the cleanup is quick, just one pan for the whole recipe (plus you’re done in under 30 minutes!).
We love serving this recipe with Chinese Steamed Rice and Roasted Rainbow Vegetables. Sometimes I chop up the chicken and add it to the rice and veggies in a bowl topped with some spicy mayo and enjoy it as a chicken bowl. This also makes for an easy lunch option.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- If you want to add spice, try a bit of Sriracha like in my Sriracha Brown Sugar Chicken or maybe some hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes (to taste, but I’d start with 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce or 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes).
- If you want a deeper brown sugar flavor try dark brown sugar which has a higher molasses content.
- For a healthier option you could of course swap out chicken breasts here since we are making this in the skillet. I would remove the chicken while letting the sauce reduce so you don’t overcook the chicken. Just be sure you fully cook the chicken while searing it.
How to Store Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken:
- Serve: Don’t leave the chicken out for longer than about 2 hours without refrigerating it.
- Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Always allow the chicken to cool down to room temperature before sealing it up or you’ll just store bacteria in with it. You can freeze chicken for up to 3 months.
WHEN IS CHICKEN SAFE TO EAT?
According to the USDA, chicken is considered safe to eat when the insides reach 165 degrees F (73.8 degrees C). Always check the internal temperature of the chicken with a probe thermometer inserted into the thickest point to get an accurate reading.
Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 chicken thighs , boneless skinless
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup water
- Add the vegetable oil to your skillet on medium high heat with your chicken.
Sear the chicken for 5-7 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5 minutes, then add in the garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar and water and stir to combine.
Lower the temperature to medium low and let cook until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken, about 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve.